Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lessons from the Court

"Woe is me!"  Seriously, what was I thinking?  Sure I remember well from childhood days (even the teen years) of running up and down a basketball court with friends, but now I'm 45 years old and well over 200 pounds (no need in getting too personal with weight, unless you're my doctor).  Some church friends (loosely implied) get together twice a month to play some basketball, and I finally agreed to check it out and play some.  Not sure as to who would be there, but I had to take part since I've invited a few men (younger than me too) to come out and join the festivity (once again loosely implied).  After I walked into the Family Life Center, I knew my friend pain would be elated.  I was the second oldest of the 16 men there.  Not only that, but I'm also packing extra weight (hence, the need to exercise), and running up and down a court (why the need for full-court???  surely half-court is almost as exciting) for an hour is setting me up for a visit with Icy Hot products. 

Yet, here I go.  Mind you, I'm not that bright.  I could have ignored the plea to join in some recreational fun, or I could have feigned a muscle pull early into the game, or I could have just walked the entire time (which would have alienated team mates), but NOOOOOOO, I just had to put forth an effort.  Dig down deep.  Go the extra mile.  Hustle.  All those good words that I usually offer up to someone else, has now come back to me ten fold.  So I would run for 5 minutes and then rest for another 5 to 8 minutes (thankful for the free substitutions).  At the end of the time, not too shabby for an old man who has not done that for 20+ years.  Made one shot out of five attempts.  Two assists and five turnovers.  Fouled several times, but no one called it since their shot went in, and only fell down three times while retreating back for defense.  Again, why the need for full court???

There were no medical personnel to offer oxygen, but if they were here, I would have gladly taken them up on that.  My lungs were burning and screaming "Stop!"at my legs and brain.  Still it was a good time that brought laughter, and I'll probably do it again next time.  At this rate, it will only take me about two years to get in better physical conditioning, but just wait until then.  Look out I have a goal in mind.

The lesson here is to get involved.  No need to sit on the sidelines and watch.  Get out there and take part.  No different as a parent, you must be involved with your children.  No matter the hobby, subject, sport, or leisure time, get in there.  Get off the couch and be active.  How about your spiritual life?  Are you reading the Word of God?  Are you praying?  Are you sharing your faith?  Are you taking part in the local church?  You are needed.  Get active.  Get in the game.  Sure I'm tired and sore, but it's a good tired and good ache.  No more excuses, get in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment