Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love that Goes the Distance

Since it's Valentine's Day and the nation is all a flutter with romantic ideas and conceptions of love, I wanted to take just a moment and share through my personal convictions.  I was raised in a home filled with love.  From grandparents, to parents, to aunts and uncles, to siblings, to cousins, to neighbors, to school teachers, to community leaders, to friends, to class mates, to church members...we all loved one another.  No it wasn't an idyllic community, it was a real community.  Bumps and bruises along the way, but there was love.  Even now I'm finding it hard to believe that I was raised in a special place and time that embraced love and loving others.  What was so special about this magical childhood?  I believe it was faith.  Even those who did not embrace Christ, still revered those who did.  There was a common understanding of boundaries defined by God through His teachings.

Often in today's culture, love is watered down to include all types of infatuations.  "I love chocolate!"  "I love clothes!"  "I love cars!"  "I love the beach!"  Are equalled to our love and devotion to God for His Son Jesus Christ.  This culture and moral relativism has crippled our nation and churches.  There is one standard: God.  He has given to us His Word, His Son, and His Holy Spirit to guide and direct us.  There are many paths in life, but only one will lead us to God.  No matter how hard you believe, you can be wrong.  Right is not based on hard belief, it's based on following God.  If God has told us something is wrong, then it's wrong.  In all situations, in all climates, in all cultures, in all time...it's wrong.  Wrong for you and wrong for me.  We can easily be swayed by life experiences, but if it contradicts God and His teaching, then it's wrong.

Love from God is pure, holy, and available to all.  Have you made the choice to trust God with your life?  I hope you will take that leap of faith and trust Him with your whole being.  Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment