Monday, October 10, 2011

Laughter

Ah, the sound of laughter echoing down the halls that beckons a smile while bringing curious minds to follow the emanating trickles of joy.  I quickly paced down the hall in hopes of finding the reason for the joyous sounds, but I moved too slowly.  Upon my arrival, I glanced to find smiling faces burning with red due to the exhaustive and continuous laughter caused by someone (remaining anonymous) telling a humorous story about himself.  I later heard the strange tell that instantly brought smiles and laughter to my face, and I too laughed so hard my face turned red (it's still a secret, as promised).

I love to laugh.  Really, I do love to laugh.  Mostly at my own expense, but I still laugh.  In fact, I could be (and most often I am) accused of laughing at those moments that are NOT funny, but I still laugh.  My sense of humor is dry, often missed by those around me, but I still laugh.

Below, I want to encourage you to watch the video clip "What If Starbucks Marketed like a Church!"  It has both humor (at least to me), and a strong message to the church.  Laugh.  Smile.  Think.  That's right...think.  What are the implications for the church in the clip? 

In the county that I preside (Wake, NC), there are less than 20%  that claim to have a relationship with Jesus Christ.  Out of 627,000 only 109,000 claim to have a relationship with the creator of the universe.  Staggering.  Since NC is solidly placed in the "Bible Belt" this is furthering horrorfying.  What has happened to the church?  Where did we get sidetracked?  Why did we choose to ignore God's command to go and make disciples?

Good questions, but not necessarily needed.  What we must do now is to take God serious and what He has commanded us.  Thus, go and make disciples.  Does it really matter what style of music is played?  (Side note: remeber from "Blues Brother's" the scene where they go to Bob's Country Bunker to play a concert gig?  The lady behind the bar is asked by Elwood, "So what kind of music do they typically play here?"  She resonds, "Why both kinds: country and western!")  Does it really matter about parking lots, pews, carpets, hymn books, or clothing trends?  Too often we get distracted by what is most important in church life: making disciples.

Are you distracted?  Do you consider making disciples an important matter for the local church?  I pray that we, the local church, will get our act together and get serious in following God and His teaching concerning making disciples.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment