Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Painting

Recently I had the pleasure of doing some house maintenance and I am so thankful that my pastor/mentor Don Phillips was able to teach me the techniques of painting and staining years ago.  The first item of business was to have someone pressure wash the house, and with the capable leadership of my wife, that was accomplished on Thursday.  Next we made a trip to Sherwin Williams paint store to secure the paint for the rails on the front porch: accomplished.  At the store, Mary showed us a large book full of ideas on how to paint/decorate a room suitable for a little princess.  They had large adhesive images from most popular shows.  She was most impressed with all the Disney characters to choose from...her favorite (for today) was Ariel.

Then on Saturday morning, I kissed my beautiful wife and active 4 year old so long as they trekked to Statesville for family time.  Now to paint those handrails.  Quick overview: paint (check), brush (check), paint stirrers (check), rags (check), screwdriver (check).  All was in place, and then I noticed that two bushes were in the way.  Quickly I retrieved the pruning shears and did a little work, voila!  Now we are ready.  Well, almost.  I needed to get a small edger to aid in NOT painting the stained deck boards.  Check.  Now to pry open the sturdy can of pricey paint.  Can you believe that a gallon of paint cost $38????  And that was one of the cheapest available.

Once the can is open, I then proceed to stir the paint.  At first I think there is some mistake, the paint is thick.  Really thick.  But channeling my mentor and friend Don, I remember that this is normal.  So using some elbow grease, I start to make some progress in making it pliable.  Now to dip the brush into that magical white solution ever so gently…just like I was taught.  Then to apply that white liquid gold onto the painted wood hand rails…ah, just like Don taught me. 

Fast forward several hours, we are now complete with the assignment.  Now to clean the brush so I can use it again.  Obtain my soap, bucket, water, and rags…commence to cleaning.  It goes smoothly without any complications, and then back to look over the finished task.  Yes, I am most pleased with the results, and only notice a few glaring mistakes, but still very pleased.

My spiritual lesson from this: be patient.  Yes, patience is not always received enthusiastically, but nonetheless, it is ALWAYS a great tool to keep in your tool box.  Mistakes will be made, but God gives us rags and soap to correct those, so we can continue in hopes of completing the project.  Hang in there, the finish line is just in sight.  You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment